Trust Inns is dedicated to providing the highest quality of training to its business partners. We do this in several ways dependent on your individual needs and requirements.

Our Training Partners Website >

Are you new to the industry?

If you’ve never run your own pub before, then you will need to apply for a personal licence. This is a licence that authorises you to sell alcohol, or authorise members of staff to sell alcohol from a licensed premises.

Trust Inns’ training partner, CPL, provide new entrant training guidance. Please read the information below to help guide you to gaining a personal licence.

I’m new, where do i start >

New for 2019

Trust Inns are pleased to welcome for 2019, Flow Hospitality Training, as a second on line training partner. Please click on the link below to experience the portfolio of training courses available.

To have access to the whole portfolio for you and your staff, the cost is £250 +Vat but smaller packages of courses are available.

Flow Portfolio training

Already run a pub or an experienced licensee?

We believe that you can never know enough or everything about this great industry, which is why our training solutions are made to suit all needs.

Show me training courses >


Personal licence England & Wales

Under the Licensing Act 2003, every licensed premises requires at least one personal licence holder who can authorise the sale of alcohol. Where there can be more than one personal licence holder in a premises, there is a legal requirement that one such personal licence holder must be also nominated as the “designated premises supervisor” (DPS) and that this person must be in day to day control of the premises.

A personal licence is granted by your local council licensing authority to people who hold the Award for Personal Licence Holders qualification (APLH). Gaining the APLH involves sitting a one day training course and a short multiple choice exam at the end of the day. Successful candidates will be awarded the BIIAB Award for Personal Licence Holders.

Our BDM team can talk you through how to get a personal licence when you enquire about a pub business opportunity. Alternatively visit CPL are our recommended licence trainer.

Personal Licence Scotland

Scotland operates under a separate legal system to England and Wales and as such there are a few differences between the two licensing systems. Under the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005, a personal licence is required before you can authorise staff to sell alcohol from licensed premises.

The person in day to day control of a Scottish licensed premises is called a “designated premises manager” and must hold a personal licence. Before applying for a personal licence in Scotland you must sit a one day course leading to the BIIAB Scottish certificate for Personal Licence Holders (SCPLH) qualification.

This is also assessed by a short multiple choice exam. For more information visit CPL are our recommended licence trainer.

HAVE YOU DONE YOUR Pre Entry Awareness Training (PEAT)?

PEAT is an e-learning package for prospective tenants/lessess who are considering signing a pub tenancy or lease agreement in England and Wales. PEAT will provide you with sufficient information to help you fully understand the implications of the pub tenancy or lease which you are considering signing. The training includes:

  • The pub industry – business plan, finances & support
  • The pub premises – fixtures and fittings, dilapidations, repair obligations, capital developments, insurance, living accommodation
  • Purchasing obligations
  • Licensing and compliance
  • Rent assessment, review and renewals
  • How to leave your pub, complaints and dispute resolution

You must have completed this course before your application with Trust Inns can progress.

The cost of the PEAT course is £90+ VAT

A recommended supplier of this course can be found by visiting

Visit Licensed Trainer > >

Our Training Events

Date/Time Event
September 3, 2019
Managing People
More Information +
September 5, 2019
More Information +
October 15, 2019
More Information +
November 19, 2019
Social Media Workshop
More Information +
November 20, 2019
Cellar Management
More Information +
November 21, 2019
Health & Safety
More Information +
February 5, 2020
Cellar Management
More Information +
February 6, 2020
More Information +
March 18, 2020
Health & Safety
More Information +
March 19, 2020
More Information +
April 29, 2020
Social Media Workshop
More Information +
April 30, 2020
Cellar Management
More Information +
June 10, 2020
Managing People
More Information +
June 11, 2020
Pub Finance
More Information +

In the pub – on line training

Alternatively on line training may be more suitable for you – particularly if you struggle to get time away from the pub or have a large team to train too. All the training can be done within your pub on your computer or laptop. Please note that there is a cost allocated to all online training (by CPL, the training provider) but covers not only your own training, but that of all your staff too. Costs for each course are shown next to the course description on line.

Train Online Now > >

Meet the trainer

Our training partner, John Walker Solutions has worked with Trust for almost 20 years! John has 30 years experience in hospitality – all at director level. He is known for inspiring people to make small changes which will improve their business. He does this by using an informal approach which creates the perfect environment for learning.


If you are currently a tennant in a Trust Inns pub, you can register your interest in any of our courses here. Simply complete the form below and select the course your may want to attend and someone will get back to you with course details.

Come and

say hello at an open day

Open Days >
We Provide you with

Comprehensive business support, when you need it

Find Support >
Learn more by using our

Online or face to face training solutions

Find Dates >

They have helped me no end.  I was new to the management post and thrown in at the deep end.  Trust Inns has helped me with the running of the pub and paperwork.  My BDM and credit controller have been very good.

Albion Hotel
Barrow in Furness

We have a very good relationship with Trust Inns. We have great personal communication with them and support when we need it.

Midge Hall

I’ve been a tenant for 20+ years and I’m very happy with the service

Percy Arms


If you require any other information about Trust Inns, our pubs, development courses or you have any further queries regarding pub tenancy and lease opportunities

Get in touch >