Find the training that is right for you

Trust Inns is dedicated to providing the highest quality of training for its business partners. We do this in several ways dependent on your individual needs and requirements.

We currently offer a range of online and face to face training courses in conjunction with our preferred training partners. Should you have a training need, then please ask your Business Development Manager for more information.

Upcoming Training Events
  • 14th May 2024
    Cellar & Profit through Quality
  • 12th & 13th June 2024
    Pub Marketing, Pub Finance
  • 7th & 8th August 2024
    Pub Marketing, Pub Finance
  • 13th August 2024
    Cellar & Profit through Quality
  • 9th & 10th October 2024
    Pub Marketing, Pub Finance
  • 19th November 2024
    Cellar & Profit through Quality
  • 4th & 5th December 2024
    Pub Marketing, Pub Finance

We are also able to offer cellar training including cask, social media training, employment law and much more. If you can’t find training details of a course you require for your pub business, then please contact your BDM and we will work with you to either source a provider or provide a course for you.

Contact Trust Inns

Are You New to the Industry?

If you’ve never run your own pub before, then you will need to apply for a personal licence. This is a licence that authorises you to sell alcohol, or authorise members of staff to sell alcohol from a licensed premises.

Trust Inns can provide you with advice and details of suitable training providers for the personal licence qualification. Please speak to your BDM who will be able to talk you through the process. We’ve also provided some information below which will help you.
I’m New, Where do I Start

Why Trust Inns?

  • Trust Inns is one the longest standing, privately owned pub companies in the UK; you can rely on us!
  • We are fully independent which means we can make decisions quickly for entry and offer much more flexibility when negotiating your offer
  • We offer a great range of business support packages
pub guide cover

Want to Know More? Request Your Free Guide to Becoming a Pub Landlord

If you’re thinking of running a pub for the first time, then we’re pretty certain you’ll have lots of questions and possibly not know where to start on your search. This handy, quick and simple guide will help to point you in the right direction, give you the right questions to ask/consider and a check list to cover.

In the Pub – Online Training

On line training is becoming increasingly popular – particularly for those who struggle to get time away from the pub or have a large team to train too. All training can be done on a computer or laptop.

Trust Inns currently works with MAPAL and CPL Learning who offer a range of on line courses to suit any budget. Links to their respective websites are below.
CPL Learning MAPAL

If You are New to the Industry, You’ll Need a Licence

Personal licence England & Wales

Under the Licensing Act 2003, every licensed premises requires at least one personal licence holder who can authorise the sale of alcohol. Where there can be more than one personal licence holder in a premises, there is a legal requirement that one such personal licence holder must be also nominated as the “designated premises supervisor” (DPS) and that this person must be in day to day control of the premises.

A personal licence is granted by your local council licensing authority to people who hold the Award for Personal Licence Holders qualification (APLH). Gaining the APLH involves sitting a one day training course and a short multiple choice exam at the end of the day. Successful candidates will be awarded the BIIAB Award for Personal Licence Holders.

Our BDM team can talk you through how to get a personal licence when you enquire about a pub business opportunity.

Personal Licence Scotland

Scotland operates under a separate legal system to England and Wales and as such there are a few differences between the two licensing systems. Under the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005, a personal licence is required before you can authorise staff to sell alcohol from licensed premises.

The person in day to day control of a Scottish licensed premises is called a “designated premises manager” and must hold a personal licence. Before applying for a personal licence in Scotland you must sit a one day course leading to the BIIAB Scottish certificate for Personal Licence Holders (SCPLH) qualification.

This is also assessed by a short multiple choice exam.

Training Events

We regularly hold face to face training courses in a variety of different subjects. Dates, times and locations vary dependent on the need in different areas of our estate. To find out more, please speak to your Business Development Manager.

Have You Done Your Pre Entry Awareness Training (PEAT)?

PEAT is an e-learning package for prospective tenants/lessess who are considering signing a pub tenancy or lease agreement in England and Wales. PEAT will provide you with sufficient information to help you fully understand the implications of the pub tenancy or lease which you are considering signing. The training includes:

  • The pub industry – business plan, finances & support
  • The pub premises – fixtures and fittings, dilapidations, repair obligations, capital developments, insurance, living accommodation
  • Purchasing obligations
  • Licensing and compliance
  • Rent assessment, review and renewals
  • How to leave your pub, complaints and dispute resolution

You must have completed this course before your application with Trust Inns can progress.

The cost of a PEAT course varies but is normally around £100 + VAT.

Speak to your BDM about the training partners we work with that can offer this course.
Visit Licenced Trainer

Meet the Trainers

John Walker

Our training partner, John Walker Solutions has worked with Trust for over 20 years! John has 30 years experience in hospitality – all at director level. He is known for inspiring people to make small changes which will improve their business. He does this by using an informal approach which creates the perfect environment for learning.

Sue Allen

Sue has worked in the licensed trade all her working life; starting out in breweries, so she knows her beers!  She’s worked both sides of the bar and has been a BDM and an Operations Director in the most recent past.  Sue likes to run workshops rather than training courses and encourages people to develop their skills through sharing best practice and real life experiences.  There’s never a dull moment on one of Sue’s courses!

“They have helped me no end. I was new to the management post and thrown in at the deep end. Trust Inns has helped me with the running of the pub and paperwork. My BDM and credit controller have been very good.”

Albion Hotel, Barrow in Furness

Register Your Interest in a Course

If you are currently a tennant in a Trust Inns pub, you can register your interest in any of our courses here. Simply complete the form below and select the course your may want to attend and someone will get back to you with course details.